Rio faces Antirio across the narrow entrance to the Gulf of Corinth, and was built by Bayezit II (1447-1512), presumably as part of his efforts to drive the Venetians from the Morea. The artillery in these forts would have controlled shipping entering or leaving.
Rio is about 8km E of Patras, where the new suspension bridge carries traffic across the Gulf. There is a small ferry to Antirio which offers good views of both, and a route north.
back to homepage
These pages created and maintained by the author. Last updated April 2008